Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Taking Photos


I swear all of us were in the team van as we traveled the 2 1/2 hour road trip to Torino, but when the game began it sure felt like no one was there. Actually we were missing Alessio, our most experienced and probably our strongest offense threat. The lack of offense became a major problem as we struggled the whole game to get on the board.


The pool its self was awesome. Built in the early 30s it was constructed with classic fascist architecture under the direction of Mussolini as the premier water polo and diving pool in Italy. There is a special balcony from where I took the above picture where Mussolini is said to have sat and watched many of the contests. Every water polo player will tell you that you can always feel the history when playing in a pool and this had a lot. Everyone on my team reminded again and again that it was the most beautiful pool in Italy. I have been fortunate to play in some pretty amazing pools, and this was right up there with the best of them.


The local fans had come out to support their team in a crucial match that had huge playoff implications. They brought their flags, drums, songs and insults. It always bums me out that I never get to take a picture of the game-time environment because I'm in the pool playing. Sometimes during a stoppage in play I try to soak it all in really quick and take the best mental snap-shot I can. I find myself laughing, "What the hell is this mustache wearing American doing playing in an 80 year old pool, 10,000 miles away from home, getting yelled at in a language I cant understand by people I will never see again?" These are my favorite moments. These are the mental Polaroids I never want to lose.

I am trying to write about anything but the game because as you probably guessed, It didn't turn out so well. We went down early and never were able to recover. As cliche as the old sports saying is, its spot on, "They wanted it more than we did". They swam harder, were more physical, and played smarter. We made a late push but ultimately lost the contest 9 to 7.

I worked my ass off like always and felt strong about my play finishing again with no exclusions or goals from their center.

With the loss our playoff hopes are mathematically finished. I am beyond sad that I wasn't able to give this team a full healthy season like I planned. I am positive that we would have been in a better position if I had. "Shoulda Woulda Coulda"is not a game that you should play though. I am just thankful for the amazing opportunity that I have had.

Hey there are still two games left and I have my 2 biggest fans coming to chant some insults at the other team that I can finally understand. I'm so excited to have my parents come out and see the friends, team and city that has taken me in!


Bus #10

No comments:

Post a Comment