Friday, April 16, 2010

The Bus and Blog are Back

I must star with an apology, I am sincerely sorry to all the POLOandPASTA faithful for the coma like intermission on this blog. I left it about as quick as my shoulder left its socket in the Viagevano game, ultimately tearing my labrum and sidelining me for what I thought (and was told) would be the remainder of the season. I didn't even inform you on what happend, although I was surprised to hear that my injury didn't flash across your TV as ESPN Now Update, and Skip Bayless wasn't debating the next morning on 1st and 10 on how my injury might play out for the rest of Erestampa Bergamos season. The quick summary is I tore my labrum and was told by doctors in Italy that I would need surgery. I did not want to agree with them so I packed my bags and headed back home where doctors state side suggested that I try the physical therapy approach. After nearly 3 months of hard work and the support and encouragement of my family some Close friends, I told the team that I was ready to return and fight for them in the final 5 weeks of season. A week later I was boarding a British Airways flight and headed back to Italy.

Arriving 2 days ago, I was greeted at the airport by the team president Dario, who upon first seeing me exit the baggage claim shook his head and laughed. I dint think many of the team thought when I said my goodbyes in January that they would ever see my face again, let alone come back to finish out the season. We headed straight to the pool where after many more Ciaos and hugs it was time for practice and of course the customary Tuesday 15 x 200s that I missed so dearly.

When practice was finished I was more than excited to rush over to the restaurant where I saw Sergio and began my rigorus Italian diet of Pizza 5 nights a week. The only wierd part about comming back was that it was not wierd at all, infact it felt like I never left. I even got my same apartment and the same clown car (I wont lie, I was pretty excited to be mobbing around the streets of Bergamo in the Smart Car again).

As for the real reason of my return, to help my team make the playoffs, the road will be quite tricky. We currently sit in 5th place and need to move up 1 spot to 4th. Doesnt sound too hard but when they are ahead by two wins and we only have 5 games left (4 against the top 4 teams) it will take a great effort to pull it off.

It all starts tomorrow with our game against current 1st place Camolgi. The main thing that I keep hearing over and over is that they have a Huge Gay Russian. HUGE as in 6ft 8in and 280lbs muscle, Gay as in he literly plays for the "other team", and Russian as in, well Russian. Now dont get me wrong I have nothing against gays, come on I voted NO on Prop 13, but when its my job to match up and wrestle the whole game with this man-handeling boheamoth, it would make even the most open man queezy. It didnt help that the first thing my coach asked me when I saw him was, "Are you ready to sacraffice your A$*h&7£ on Saturday for the team?" I first responded with "yes" and then a confused "no" and felt like I was in the middle of a stupid 1st graders joke with no safe answer.

Besideds the BGR (who has played long enough in Italy that he has naturalised), they had an American who didnt quite work out. About the same time that I left the country in January his team gave him the boot and picked up Gabor Kis. Who is Gabor Kis? Just a Hungarian, Olympic Gold Medal, and a nasty Left handed shot...No Big Deal.

As impressive as their lineup is and as difficult it is going to be to pull off the win, I couldnt think of anything I would rather want than to be than back here in Bergamo with my guys, ready to go to battle again.

Bus #10

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are back Russ! Good luck and keep it up buddy!

    love,

    peterspoison.com

    ReplyDelete